When I decided to study abroad this semester, I knew that it meant I would miss all the things going on with the election in the US, including the republican convention. I had never even thought about flying back for just a couple of days for it. (I was not about to shell out the money for a plane ticket to be in the US for 3 days). Well a couple of weeks ago, a family friend who works here in Buenos Aires, Andy, offered to help me go back for the convention. So using some of his sky miles and flying standby, I went to Minneapolis-St.Paul for 3 days.
The three days I spent at the convention were crazy. Right when I got there, it was essentially non stop activity. I had remembered some of the convention in 2000, but this time around, the atmosphere was completely different (simply because this time around, it hit much closer to home). It was unlike anything I have ever experienced before in my life. A quick recap:
On Tuesday, we got to take part in a charity event for ONE.org and WorldVision. Both great organizations, check them out. Essentially we helped assemble kits for AIDS caretakers in Africa and all over the world. There were tons of these plastic orange cases that we filled with simple items, such as petroleum jelly, notebooks, pens, cotton balls, anti-fungal cream. Items that are so important to help take care of someone with HIV but that aren't readily available in under-developed nations. We essentially went down an assembly line and filled the cases with each item, and then wrote a note of encouragement and thanks for the caretaker who would receive the kit. We assembled over 2500 kits. It was such a cool experience to be a part of. This event happened at both the RNC and the DNC, so 5000 kits are headed out around the world!

There was also a display from a group "Got Cents?" of tons of pennies in the shape of a ribbon. There were 6.1 million pennies on display-- that's one penny for every life lost to AIDS in one presidential term (4 years). Apparently if one were to stack them one on top of another, it would reach 6 miles into the sky.
The following day we also took part in a charity event run by Target (which by the way was started in Minneapolis, so we went to the first Target). More assembly lines, but this time we put together bags and boxes to send to hurricane victims in the southeast.
As far as the rest of the week goes...
We celebrated my Aunt Sid's birthday, listened to speeches, People Magazine photoshoot, went to a luncheon in honor of Cindy, rode in a motorcade, went to various parties. It all culminated as we watched from the Family Box as my grandfather accepted the nomination for the Republican Party and then went on stage at the end of his speech as the balloons and confetti came floating down. Truly an incredible couple of days.
My family in front of the Straight Talk on the last night
the McCain and Palin families on stage for the balloon drop!

Even though it was a hectic and tiring week, I am so thankful that I had this opportunity to go back to the US just for a couple days and experience this with my family. It was great to see my mom and dad and brother and my extended family! And I am truly proud of what my grandfather has accomplished.
the McCain and Palin families on stage for the balloon drop!
Even though it was a hectic and tiring week, I am so thankful that I had this opportunity to go back to the US just for a couple days and experience this with my family. It was great to see my mom and dad and brother and my extended family! And I am truly proud of what my grandfather has accomplished.
Miss you all.
Love,
Caro
ps. if you get the urge to send me a letter, here is my address. it may take a week to get to me, but nonetheless i would still love to receive snailmail. :)
Love,
Caro
ps. if you get the urge to send me a letter, here is my address. it may take a week to get to me, but nonetheless i would still love to receive snailmail. :)
Caroline McCain
Av. Corrientes 880 - 8ÂșC
(C1043AAV) Buenos Aires
Argentina
Av. Corrientes 880 - 8ÂșC
(C1043AAV) Buenos Aires
Argentina




1 comment:
i'm so glad you went! now you're a big beautiful famous TV star.
bless you sister
Post a Comment